Sunday, March 11, 2012

First taste of real Japanese sushi!

Well, it took a while to get enough recommendations from my patients to finally settle on a good, local spot for sushi.

Here it is:


Hell if I knew what the name was or meant =p  It's not too far off of base, it's just a walk down blue street down to the local yokosuka chuo train station.  It's right underneath the station.

Anyways, it's one of those conveyor belt type of sushi places where the food that's being served is being hauled right by you on a teeny little conveyor belt.  Watching the food go by reminds me of waiting for your luggage at the luggage claim.  My favorite part of the whole conveyor belt thing is when it makes sharp 90 degree turns!


Split scallops for 3ish dollars!  All the plates are color coded, and the color codes and the respective prices are are on the menu underneath my plate here.


I have a terrible food name memory, and I forgot what this fish was (maybe some sort of tuna?), but the important thing is that I remember it was super tasty.  This sushi place is just like any average mom and pop sushi place back home, meaning that it's not a uber high end chain (nobu) or a super well-kept secret (sushi wasabi).  BUT, the sushi still did not disappoint.  As you can see, the cuts of the fish are relatively large, and if you were back in socal at your average kabuki's expecting fish this size, you could damn well EXPECT the quality to be shit.  It'd probably be super firm, too fishy to the taste, and probably served at room temperature (blech!).  But here, none of that was true.  You had fish that was a large cut (almost double the size of the fish served at sushi wasabi) AND was tasty (if sushi wasabe was a 10/10, this place would be a 8/10, at about a fifth of the cost)  Not bad for your average sushi place!


That last one was praying mantis shrimp, I believe.  That one definitely sounded cooler than it tasted. This variety of fish is very dense in its meat.  Not a fan.  I'll stick with the sweet shrimp.

All in all, I wish the average sushi places at home were like this.  Good and cheap.  My whole meal was 1600 yen, around 19-20 bucks.  One look at the fish served here and you know it's done right.  You can almost see the freshness (I've always described it as a very fine glistening texture to the fish, where the fish looks moist throughout).

The next sushi place I'll be going to is a 100 yen per plate sushi place.  I hear it's pretty popular.  Maybe Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment